Thursday, November 5, 2009

Oh Wednesday, what a day!

So, Wednesday comes along and I'm ready to go on my interview. The night before, I asked Senora Marta about directions to get to Belgrano. She told me Bus 67, and the route it would take, and where to get off. I got on the bus, and everything was going well until the bus started going in a different direction. I got off right away and jumped into a cab, I told him where I was going in my best Castillano. After 5 minutes, my instincts told me he had no clue where the cafe was located. So, I got out of the cab and called the person I was interviewing with. I explained the situation and she was cool. She told me to get into another cab and make sure they knew the intersection. Luckily, the next cab driver knew exactly where to go, but then we hit a closed street where they were filming a movie (another obstacle). He told me it was very close by and I could walk around the corner. I somehow understood, the hand gestures helped. I found the cafe!
I was 10 minutes late, but the lady was totally fine with it. She was glad I made it. The interview went extremely well and I hope I got the job. I should be hearing from them this week for another interview next week. I only met with an HR lady (outsourced).
I took the train back home, and it went very smoothly.

I had plans to meet another expat. We decided to go to Patio Bullrich (a very nice shopping mall near by). We had a very nice conversation at a cafe. After a few hours, we decided to leave. She left her money on the table and went to the bathroom. I left my portion, and I asked for 1 peso back. The waitress came back and handed me the 1 peso. Her thank you was extremely nice, and I thought for a second after I left.....Why was she so nice saying thank you? I just left her a regular tip. I stopped thinking about it after a few minutes.

My friend and I decided to go to MALBA, a museum near by. We spent a few hours there, and then went home. I walked home alone and I kept thinking about that waitress. I thought I was going crazy.

I finally reached home. Ate a snack. I had dinner plans with Amy. Before I was about to leave, I checked to see how much money was in my wallet. Shit!!!!!!!!!!!! I gave the waitress 100 pesos, instead of 10 pesos!!!!! That's why she was so nice. I couldn't believe it. I was so mad at myself. How could I do this? I never do something like this? Then, after being pissed off, I told myself it's ok. I've been very fortunate in many other things, this is not a big deal. It technically is only $25 USD, but 100 pesos here goes a long way.....it's like $100 USD in the USA. I can't do anything now, so what's the point of thinking about it. But, then I was angry because the waitress didn't say anything to me, even though it was my stupid fault. What a day.

Dinner with Amy was nice, much needed. We stopped for some heladio (ice cream) after dinner. And then headed over to her place afterward, chit chatted with Benjamin and Jimmy. Those 2 are very funny.

Today, I slept in. I was really tired for some reason. Senora Marta was still home, so we had our everyday normal conversation about what I did the day before. I told her about the 100 pesos mix up. She was more upset than me and said we would go to Patio Bullrich to talk to them. I told her it was ok, it was my fault. I've learned my lesson, I need to be more careful. Also, I've been VERY fortunate with everything in BsAs (meeting wonderful people, my living arrangement, getting around the city, etc)...so this is no big deal. She insisted we still go this afternoon, I told her ok. I had a training session for teaching English since I'm subbing for someone next week. It was ok.
Afterward, I went to Galeria Pacifico (another shopping mall) and walked around. Senora Marta called and said to head home so we could go to Patio Bullrich.
We arrived to Patio Bullrich, and the waitress from yesterday was not there. Senora Marta talked to another lady and she was really nice. We left our number, they're going to call us once they talk to the girl. Senora Marta left her business card, and she was confident they would call back because of her name. I'm still convinced she's a famous person.

No comments:

Post a Comment