Monday, November 2, 2009

Honduras Club





It was another great weekend in Buenos Aires.....

Friday night I had plans to go out with Emilio, a friend of Bridget and Jackie's from back home.
He said we would go dancing, horrahhhh! The plan was to meet at his friend's at 11 pm.
He said I could invite friends, so I asked Amy (an expat from D.C.) I ended up going to Amy's place and meeting 2 more locals. We ended up drinking Fernet/Coke and dancing with tennis racquets, haha. It was a blast, but we were also late meeting up with Emilio. And worse than ARGENTINE late, we were 2 hours late. By this time, Nate and Sarah (2 more expats) were at Amy's. I made everyone drink their drinks really fast so we could leave. I felt a little weird bringing 5 people with me, but it worked out great. 1 of the locals in my group knew one of Emilio's friends, phew!
We did some more dancing : ) Around 2 am, we left for the club. There were 9 of us, and we were sticking together like a herd. Especially, since it was late, we made sure to walk on streets with lights. But, by the time we found cabs, 2 had disappeared and went home. They didn't even say goodbye : ( Our herd separated.
We made it to Honduras Club. The music was great, lots of Latin music!! Just the way I like it. The club was completely packed, but we found a semi-packed dance floor upstairs. Emilio is a fantastic dancer, I was very impressed. I danced all night long : ) We ended up leaving the club at 5 and headed home sweet home.

This is for the ladies......On Saturday, Amy and I went to get manicures/pedicures. The manicure was excellent. They do pedicures very differently here than back home. I felt like I was having surgery. They kept bringing out these drill machines, I was a little terrified. And not knowing the language doesn't really help in situations like this, good thing I had Amy by my side. They don't soak your feet in water either, instead they put swabs of alcohol on your feet. Fortunately, everything turned out ok.

It rained all day Saturday, and it was hard to get motivated to go out. But, I did. Amy and I went out for dinner at a local place, I don't remember the name. I had Bife de Lomo, it was enormous! I need a break from carne, I'm not use to it. Afterward, we met up with the expats. They were all dressed up for Halloween. Amy and I weren't. All 15 of us took the bus to Milion, a club in Recoleta. It looked like a mansion with several floors. Amy and I left early since we were tired. I was home by 2 am, it was an early night.

I stayed in all day yesterday, since it rained. And, I studied Castillano! I'm proud of myself. Senora Marta also spoke with me, in Castillano of course. I'm slowly getting there people, very slowly. For dinner last night, I had empanadas with Senora Marta. They were delicious.

Today, I went to a cafe and job searched. I sent out an email for a job posting, and received a response automatically. It's amazing how fast they respond here. I was even able to set up a phone interview with them today. I thought it went well, I'll find out this week if they want me to come in for an in-person interview. It's nothing like this in Chicago.

I went to the cinema today, first time going alone and it wasn't weird at all. There were other people alone in the cinema as well. It was actually nice. My friend Laura back home always talked about going solo, and I never did it. The movie was called "El arbol de Lima" (The Lemon Tree). There was only 5 minutes of English. The rest was in Arabic, Russian, and Hebrew. I understood some of the Hebrew words. Shalom, nishekot, Toda...thanks to my Israeli friends : ) I read the subtitles in Castillano and understood a lot of the story. I couldn't believe it!!! It's clicking.
Castillano homework = Cinema once a week : )

So, I've realized it's very difficult to understand the Portenos.
I spoke with a Columbian the other night, and I understood a lot.
Portenos speak so rapido!!

The movie inspired me, I'm going to make Israeli salad tomorrow. I'm craving salad all the time!

(I found out the name of the jamon, mayo, sweet pastry sandwiches Senora Marta bought last Monday. They are called "Fosforitos"!

No comments:

Post a Comment