Thursday, December 10, 2009

Lujan with Yillabean



Before I came to Buenos Aires, I did a whole lot of research. My friends back home know I'm a huge planner. I found a blog 2 months before I arrived that I followed practically every day. It was about a girl picking up and moving to Buenos Aires. She did a great job writing about her every day experiences, teaching English, Argentine culture, men, food, etc. So, I recently read her blog and found out she was leaving Buenos Aires. I decided to send her an email and meet up with her. Normally, I wouldn't just email a stranger back home and meet up with them. But, in this situation, it happens all the time. You have to put yourself out there if you want to meet people.
So, we met up for lunch. She's a very sweet girl. I told her how much her blog helped me with information about moving to Buenos Aires. After lunch, we agreed to meet up again. This past Monday we went to Lujan, 1.5 hours away from Buenos Aires. It was a cute little town. The main feature was the Lujan Church. There's a huge symbol in Lujan, the Virgin. Her image is in the Church. Even though this country can be very macho at times, there are many women figures as important symbols.
On the way out, I bought a Lujan necklace. She is said to bring good luck (I need luck in finding a job here). I've been teaching English for the last month. It has been an enjoyable opportunity and I'm learning so much from my students. All of them are very nice, and today I met my first female student. However, it is difficult with the traveling and teaching. Even though I only taught 3 hours today, commuting to Microcenter and back to Recoleta can be tiring....especially when there are protests every day. Streets are blocked because of the protests, so traffic is horrible.
I have a good feeling a job will come my way very soon....:) POSITIVE THINKING

No comments:

Post a Comment